Friday, February 25, 2011

Gavin's Squares

I seemed to be drawn to slightly out of whack geometric shapes.  

      As I'm trying to find my own "quilting voice," a lot of the quilts that inspire me, seem to be slightly out of whack geometric shapes.  I really enjoy the work of Denyse Schmidt and you can certainly see the influence of her "What a Bunch of Squares" quilt.


      This was actually made as a gift for some friends who were having a baby. I hesitate to call it a 'baby quilt' because of the style and size (basically a throw).  They were using grays and oranges in the little guy's new room and they have more modern, not flowery-print or basket-block, sensibilities, so I went modern-wonky.  I made it nice and large so that it could be used for him to play on the floor, in the yard, bundled up on the couch with mom, whatever.  


The way the back turned out on this really made me happy.  The simple design here helped the random quilting stand out. 

Jay

2 comments:

  1. great little boy quilt - I am sure he will treasure it when he is old enough to stop sucking and drooling on it!

    ReplyDelete