Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Fall 2011

So, Amy's Creative Side is hosting a Blogger's Quilt Festival. 
Since I noticed this event this morning and this afternoon I finish the quilt below, it seemed like a perfect thing to take part in.


Amy asks participants to:
 "Share one quilt, and it’s story.  Why you made it, why it is special to you, what you learned about quilting/yourself while making it."

Wow, I'm gonna actually have to think about this stuff...
Why'd I make it...I enjoy solids, wonky/improv shapes and bright colors. This one started with me just playing around with greens and that odd print in the center.  I was really digging what was developing, so I just kept going.  You can see the print in the 'center' of the blocks provided my colors and something to unify the blocks.  Why is it special...Heck, I'm still new at this, everything I finish is special to me! But seriously, because of the things I mentioned above, the colors and wonky factor.  I like just diving in and experimenting, especially when it turns out well :)  What did I learn...Ha, I learned fleece is not a bad option for a batting!  I used black fleece for the batting on this because I was afraid of the regular cotton batting poking through. Other than being a bit stretchy, it worked great.  I also did the binding in a different way for me.  I don't know what it is called when you do this, but I made the backing a bit larger and wrapped over the top to create the binding. I know purists will be up in arms about that, but oh well. The quilt's not going to be in a big competition and the whole point is to try new things and learn from them.  So, "Quilt Police" you'll just have to deal with me:)

Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm still trying to get the hang of these things, quilting and blogging.
I don't post that often because to be honest, when I have the time, usually I'd rather be working on a quilt than trying to figure out what to say about them.  If you have the time, please check out some of my other posts, my last post was part of the Men Quilt Too! online show and has a little bit more about me.





23 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your quilt!!! Wonky blocks are the best to play. Your colors are great.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popping over from BQF -- love your finish! Improv and solids are two of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quilt!

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the bright colors against the black- it really makes them pop. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this to bits! I had my first go at improv piecing last night and am addicted - your quilt has inspired me even more - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool quilt! I realllly like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! Saw your quilt at Men Quilt Too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I love the "dive in and do it" philosophy:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your improv style and colour choices are great, this quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings from Hungary. I love the pattern .. absztrak. beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome! reminds me of monsters inc credits

    ReplyDelete
  12. j'aime beaucoup la simplicité du design très réussi, félicitations

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the quilt. I am a fan of quilting with solids too and I think the design you made is very striking. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been too long since the last visit. Glad to see you are still at it. I am no blogging wizard and everything takes time away from quilting. Glad to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one super cool quilt! Just love your wonky blocks floating on the black. Really great Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool!!! My favorite things to work with....brights and black!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, thanks everyone for your kind words. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, supercool quilt. I love your modern aproach of piecing and quilting. First time I came over here, but definitely not the last. I'm gonna be stalking your blog now :o)))

    ReplyDelete